Monday, November 26, 2007

How Did Your Thanksgiving Travel Go?

Aruba Bound
Our family was booked on Delta for a 1:30 pm flight on Saturday the 17th from ATL (Atlanta) to EWR (Newark).

Flight was ready to board and a crowd gathered around the gate's check-in desk. Looked around and looked up and flashing on the overhead screen, was the notice that the flight had been cancelled. Shortly afterwards the announcement was made that indeed the flight was cancelled due to some type of gas leak.

We had trouble believing or confirming this. My FIL called the airport directly and was told there had been a problem that morning but the airport was never closed. IMHO, Delta did not sell out our flight and decided to do some consolidating, by getting rid of our flight.

An advantage of flying from a large airport such as ATL, Delta has 9 flights to EWR on Saturday. This day there were still three additional scheduled flights from ATL to EWR. The gate personnel stated that we could fly stand-by for the 4:15 pm flight, which may or may not take off, or have seats aboard the 7 pm flight from ATL to EWR. Kind of late, did not want to walk into my IL's door at Midnight.

Lucky for us, there was a Delta customer service counter with ticket agents right across from our gate. The other part of our luck was that my in-laws who we were visiting for the holiday, live in Central Jersey. Newark airport is about forty-five minutes from their home and Philadelphia is an hour and a half away. Then of course, there are always JFK and La Guardia, but FIL, does not like NY, nevermind their airports.

Our family was able to get on a 2:50 pm flight to PHL (Philadelphia). The flight was on time and arrived about 20 minutes early. No thanks to the US Air plane who had yet to vacate our gate slot, we sat on the plane, waiting. Thank goodness I had a fantastic book, My Grandfather's Son: A Memoir by Clarence Thomas.

Deplaned and headed to the baggage claim and waited for our luggage. Though the gate agent in ATL who rebooked our flight had asked for a description of our ORANGE-- hard to miss luggage, we made it to PHL, but the luggage did not. No great surprise actually.

Evidently the luggage went to Newark. On which plane we will never know. Delta was kind enough to deliver the bags to my IL's home at 12:30 am Sunday. Better late than never. We were not worried the bags would not be found, but were actually surprised that they were delivered in the middle of the night.

Friday the 23rd we returned from EWR to ATL and had a very very uneventful day. Crowds at the airport were minimal. Nearly non-existant for Newark actually, while there are ALWAYS a ton of people at ATL Hartsfield.

Next up? ATL to AUA (Aruba) departing on December 22!


Post a Comment

Spam messages will not be approved